More in this section
StopWatch is a coalition, which works to:
- Promote effective, accountable and fair policing
- Inform the public about the use of stop and search
- Develop and share research on stop and search and alternatives
- Organise awareness raising events and forums
- Provide legal support challenging stop and search
Since forming in 2010, StopWatch has led a wide-ranging campaign against the disproportionate use of stop and search, the increasing use of exceptional stop and search powers and the weakening of accountability mechanisms. This includes legal and policy analysis, media coverage and commentary, political advocacy, litigation, submissions to national and international organisations and community organising. The unique mix of academics, activists, young people and lawyers has proved effective at challenging the current use of the tactic and drawing attention to the realities for those on the receiving end of police powers.